7 Plants That Are Poisonous To Pets

Spring showers make spring flowers! But be mindful of the top plants that are toxic to pets!Dogs dig under all plants so many of the flowers in your yard may be an issue. You may not even realize it!You can ask our staff more about each of the below if these are your fave but it’s risky and potentially dangerous if your animals nibble on these.According to the ASPCA, the list is long – so please visit their site for the complete list (more than 700 plants). Here are the more common plants found that pet parents should be careful around when they have their animals with them:

  • Amaryllis

amaryllisVomiting (not horses), depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia, tremors.

  • Apricot – scary pits for dogs to choke on

Stems, leaves, seeds contain cyanide, particularly toxic in the process of wilting: brick red mucous membranes, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, panting, shock.

  • Alocasia (or Elephant’s Ear)

Oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting (not horses), difficulty swallowing.

  • Sago Palm

Vomiting, melena, icterus, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, coagulopathy, liver damage, liver failure, death.

  • Azalea

Vomiting (not in horses), diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure. 

  • Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)

Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth , tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing.

  • Lily of the Valley

Vomiting, irregular heart beat, low blood pressure, disorientation, coma, seizures.The ASPCA is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.Resources: Always have the ASPCA’s site saved and bookmarked. 

Leave a Comment